A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

SP7

I've hijacked a friend's internet connection for a few minutes so that I could find out about my spoilee, post for my spoiler, and look for a job. But I have my priorities in order, so I'm doing this first!! Don't rat me out to the Lt.

1. Are you a yarn snob? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Yes and no. For me, and my knitting pleasure, it's all natural. I love wool, alpaca, cotton, and blends. I thing RH and LB have their rightful home in knitting, mostly for things that need to be virtually indestructable, i.e. stuff for kids. I've never actually fininshed anything in 100% acrylic, because I just hate the feel of it being knit.

2. Do you spin? Crochet? NO!! I am loathe to try spinning, because I think I'd fall in love and have another expensive hobby. I can't crochet to save my life, and have passed many beautiful patterns because they involved crochet.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Some are in a big plastic bin, some are in a big cloth envelope, and the lucky ones are in a needle case. It's very sad, really.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting for just over 4 years. I consider my finishing techniques to be just under intermediate, but I'm generally unafraid of any pattern, and would be low-advanced. What I mean to say is that, I'll try any pattern, it's not advanced technique that turns me off to something.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, but I forget where it is. I'll put it on the blog later.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I'm picky about this kind of stuff. I don't like anything too sweet or too musky or too anything. I generaly like "green" herby type fragrances. I LOVE lavender, and jasmine, but only the REAL stuff, no synthetic pathetic attempts to duplicate.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I've never met a carbohydrate that I didn't love. I love dark dark chocolate. Like, Lindt 70% cocoa bars. And honey. I love honey.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I like scrapbooking, but knitting is my main passion.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like anything but death metal and gangsta rap. My CD collection ranges from Abba to John Mayer to Mary J. Blige to Tim McGraw.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I love greens, the more acidic the better, think lime zest or Extra chewing gum. I also like pink, ice blue, deep pumpkin orange and chocolate brown. I really hate beige. It's only appropriate for aran sweaters. Other that that, I'm game to try it out!

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm married, and we've got a dog.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? As much as I love patterns for all these things, I just don't actually wear them. Well, maybe gloves, I would wear those.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I love Karabella Aurora 8, and I also really loved some Lorna's Laces I used. They are both really yummy.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I don't like "novelty" yarns. Anything that has eyelashes but no eyes is "no bueno."

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? I don't really have one. Maybe cardigans?

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I like to knit baby clothes, because it's such instant gratification.

17. What are you knitting right now? Oh, confession time. I've got an aran cardigan, a Dale layette, and a scarf on the needles right now. I've also got 350 yards of sock weight in the stash that is calling my name.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes!!!!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circular.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? NOT plastic.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes.

22. How did you learn to knit? I went into the Quarter Stitch in the French Quarter, and said, "How do you knit?" They showed me, and I was hooked. My first yarn was alpaca, that might explain the addiction.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? Until recently, my oldest UFO was the alpaca scarf I learned to knit on. A couple of months ago, I frogged it, and salvaged what I could for use at a later date.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? No fave animated character, my fave animal is the tied between the honeybee and the bumblebee.

25. What is your favorite holiday? Duh, Christmas. Is there any other holiday?

26. Is there anything that you collect? I collect mercury-glass christmas ornaments. Think Christopher Radko.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None, but Interweave Knits would never go unread.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Books: Weekend Knits, Handknit Holidays. Yarns: any cashmere, or Lorna's Laces.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? The ultimate way to weave in yarn ends. I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I have knit one sock. I wear a size US9 shoe, and my feet are average width.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) July 4th.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:20 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good info to know. You have a wee bit of mail already on the way. - your secret pal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home