A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Squash 'Em

Today is National Mammography Day. So, if you are 40 or more, or have a family history of Breast Cancer, go get a mammogram. If you need to find free or low-cost mammography resources, look here for a map to lead to a facility that can help. Here's why it's so important:

This past summer, a mammogram saved my mother's life. She went in 2 months early (!!!) and they found some "calcifications" that they were concerned about. I thank God that they decided to make absolutely sure what the little dots were, because they were cancerous. They were removed and everything is perfect now, God is so good!!

Self-exams are a great early defense, but they just do not replace a mammogram. Kind of like flossing, important, but no substitute for the dentist. My mother's nearly microscopic cancerous cell groups were so small, that they had to leave a tiny "marker" next to them at the biopsy, so they could be sure to find them again. Imagine if she hadn't had a mammogram because she felt no lump....


My mother is the strongest woman I know, she's beautiful, determined, intelligent, funny, generous, loving, protective, caring, trustworthy, every single good thing you could ever dream of having in a mother, I have. She has never set anything but the ideal example, and I couldn't ask for a better guide in my life. I am so blessed to be her daughter!

This weekend, (after your mammogram?), think about Heather and Eva, who are out there right now walking for a cure. Pray for good weather, happy feet, and millions of pairs of healthy breasts!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:24 AM PDT, Blogger Sarah said…

    What a nice tribute to your MOm!

    Glad she was diagnosed early!

     
  • At 12:20 PM PDT, Blogger Heather said…

    I wish I could say I did the walk. Due to health reasons, I had to drop. But Nancy is walking with Eva. They are so awesome!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home