A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Mind: Blown

So I'm up late knitting...shocked, aren't you. Yeah, I'm a night owl, whatever. Anyway, I'm watching Animal Planet, because I brake for furry things. And scaly things, and turtles, and birds, and I once cried when I drove through a group of butterflies. Pathetic, I know.

ANYWAY, I'm watching this show called "When Animals Talk" with Jane Goodall. You know, the chimp lady. You MUST watch this show, you will be amazed. The best part is at the beginning, about the African Grey Parrot called N'Kisi, because he talks. No, not just talks, but speaks. Like, forms sentences and expresses his own thoughts, not just polly-wanna-cracker shit. In fact, he may be better at it than I, because I was rendered speechless.

As an animal fan, I'm not sure why this has me so awe-struck, but it does. Maybe because he's not a mammal, and we all know mammals rock. I had already taken for granted that elephants mourn their dead, humpbacks sing complex and evolving songs, and dogs have a near-psychic connection with their people, but the bird thing is fricking awesome.

So, that's about it. I've shared what I needed to share. Knitting content and more shopping info later.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM PDT, Blogger Heather said…

    Oh my gosh...I didn't know elephants mourn their dead. That is so sad!! I love Animal Planet, although every time I watch Animal Cops I cry

     
  • At 8:26 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jane Goodall was the keynote speaker at a conference I attended this summer. 13,000 (yes, thousand) people were in a room at one time, and the place was dead silent while she talked. I've never seen anyone command respect like that. Jane rocks!

    I had to hold back tears through half of her talk while she was talking about the Gombe preserve that she has worked in for the last 30(?) years. Humans are destroying an amazing place... I guess I'm not surprised.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home