A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Knitting as Cardio: Melt Fat Away!

Knitting a sweater is a beautiful thing, making stitches and seeing how the fabric works up. Buying the yarn for it is exciting and fun, filled with anticipation of a gorgeous creation. Paying the bill...not so much. But it is truly a "fair" deal, in that, the smaller the sweater, the less yarn needed, the smaller the bill. Not like at GAP where jeans for a 2 year old are damn near the same cost a jeans for my, ahem, curvy posterior.

So, what's the best way to automatically spend less on yarn, whether it's less Debbie Bliss merino ($$$) or Knitpicks merino ($)? Get smaller! So, you'll join me on my "more sweaters with less yarn" journey, and I encourage your encouragement.

I'm gonna be totally up-front with you here: I do not diet. I LOVE food, I LOVE to eat. Nothing short of chinese water torture makes me more miserable than counting calories and fat grams. I love carbs and flat out refuse to eat low-cal/no-cal crappy tasting dressing. Fresh baked bread dipped in extra virgin olive oil is a gift from God. In my defense, I do love veggies and fruit, and healthy crap like yogurt and whole wheat. I hereby make a resolution to increase the incoming produce by 1 fruit and 1 veggie per day. That's a reasonable diet concession.

I plan to get smaller primarily via movement. I.E. less time on my butt, more time on my feet. I've already got a quick start, I got back to work this week. (Yay! This means more yarn!!) I think 25 hours a week on my feet is a good start. But, there's more. I'm living 50 yards from the beach, people. There's miles of boardwalk, and sand and surf right out my front door. I will go out onto the boardwalk for at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week. I've been out there jogging a couple of times, and it's grand. The seascape is gorgeous...pictures later.

What I'm left wondering is: how much cardio comes out of flying fingers? I'll need one of those handy bags so I can knit and walk/jog at the same time. Bonus, needles can be used in self defense. Not to self: dig out the US17 bamboo "vampire stakes."

2 Comments:

  • At 8:03 AM PDT, Blogger Sarah said…

    Glad to see what you are up to at the moment!

     
  • At 1:45 PM PDT, Blogger Heather said…

    You are brilliant! And we all know, knitting must burn some kind of calories.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home