A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Purse Debut


All right, here is is. The felted berry-colored merino purse. While I'm not totally in love with it, I do really like it. The colors didn't quite come out in the pictures, it's not that blue of a purple, it's more a berry-pink.

I learned SO much by doing this purse, and then using it, too.

1. The next time I DIY (Design It Yourself), I'll put more planning into it. I'll actually make a test swatch and do the math on the felting. Well, I say that now, we'll see.

2. It felted beautifully, but the merino is a very soft felt. I'm thinking of lining it with fabric backed in fusible web, to give it more structure.

3. Handle length is key. I'm very picky about where my purse sits on my figure, and this one is too long. I like to be able to hold the bag under my arm, this one hit's me right at my hip. I'm thinking of cutting the handle off, and knotting it, as if it were an i-cord handle.

4. Make sure the next time I graft a handle, that it's not twisted. That's right. The handle is permanently, irrevocably, irritatingly twisted. You can't tell when I'm carrying it, but I know, and it's annoying.


Here's the zipper pull, it started out life as a cell phone thingy, but when I saw little lobster clasp and how perfect it matched, it made the switch. Unfortunately, the zipper-pull met an early demise. I guess zipper-pull is really the wrong term, it should be called zipper decoration, I must have pulled it right apart.

There are more FO's on the way to be published, the Sartene tank, and the Clapotis. They are awaiting their respective photo shoots, and then they'll be out.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:23 PM PDT, Blogger illanna said…

    That's beautiful, Ashley! I love the color and the zipper- well done. Tuesday Night Knitting Club is not the same without you. I am so happy that I can keep up with you on your blog. Have a great weekend!

     
  • At 8:25 AM PDT, Blogger Heather said…

    Your purse is beautiful! I love the zipper thingy.

     
  • At 8:31 PM PDT, Blogger Mel said…

    It's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your post-mortem, too. Felting projects do seem to take a lot of planning. It's always interesting to hear other people's experiences with it. Nice Job. I bet it accencuates your hip nicely, too ;

     

Post a Comment

<< Home