A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Two at once...and other design conundrums

OK. So I knit one glove, and you know what? I didn't hate it, in fact, I enjoyed it, even the fingers! I've even been entertaining giving socks another shot. We'll see. But, the one glove got me thinking. There has to be a way to knit them both at the same time. Not so much having them both going at once, but literally knit them together, separate but together, like twins. I cannot for the life of me think of a way, aside from finger-down gloves, and who wants to do that? I'm thinking there has to be a way to do it with socks. You know, start with one toe-up and then just knit and knit the leg and end with one top-down. Only, there will need to be a hole in there....hm. There HAS to be a way.

Either that or I'm just insane. Your choice.

Am also extremely peeved with the book "Knitting for Two." All of the patterns are gorgeous, I love the colors they chose, very rich. But, the sizing sucks. What about women with boobs BEFORE they get preggers? What about us? Hmmm? Did you forget about us? The patterns didn't seem to accomodate larger than 38-40 chest size. I would like to work something up for a pregnant friend who is beautiful and classy and curvy, and I would hate to knit a size 38 sweater for a size 42 bust. I hate having to modify a pattern. It's like: HELLO. Not all of us have small boobs before the baby and (from what I understand) most of us don't have small boobs AFTER the baby, and didn't you supposedly write these patterns for pregnant and post-partum wear? Seriously. The real dilema, I've never been pregnant so I have no idea what features one would want.

I was thinking of designing something "based" off their designs, a simple wrap sweater with a deep cross over, and a ribbon tie, so it could be adjusted as the bump grows, and then worn tighter after the baby comes. Any input from moms would be AWESOME.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM PDT, Blogger Heather said…

    There sure is a way to knit 2 socks at once:

    http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home