A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Humanity!

Things in the knitting universe of QTPurl2T (and what other universe IS there??) are going well. Well, sort of. See for yourself:

In bibliophile news, I am generally not reading so that I can knit. Kind of sad, but true. However, Borders graced me with a 25% off of a hardcover coupon, so Himself and I each printed a copy. He got Salman Rushie's Shalimar the Clown, I got Last Minute Knitted Gifts. They are both technically for me, even though the Lt does enjoy the Rushdie. The other week, I tore through Jodi Picoult's Harvesting the Heart. If you've never read Rushdie or Picoult, give it a shot. Their styles couldn't be further apart, but they are both great. Rushdie's fiction is amazingly intricate, almost fairy-tale-ish. Very Sheherezade. Picoult writes about relationships, and has a knack for getting right in there. I always lose myself in her stories, and am usually an emotional wreck until a day or two after I finish the book. But ANYWAY....

The Technicolor Dream Sweater is chugging right along. The stripe pattern is working out nicely, and I'm just starting the chart for the front. Wow. Making your own intarsia chart is a lot of work. It really makes you face head on your limitations as a first time charter. But, I chart on, undeterred.

The Mentor Scarf is done and is beautiful, Scarf Style rocks. I used the Shippo pattern, in Lion Brand Incredible. It works up really prettily, very sparkly/shimmery. In other almost related book news: I scoped out Wrap Style at Borders the other week. SUCKS. WTF on the capelets? I so don't get those things. I guess if I was a 90 lb waif with no worries about looking like a linebacker, I'd be on it. Or, if I could confidently leave the house with out having to worry about needing to move my shoulders. But, alas, this is not the case.

There is also bad news on the Vogue Knitting Cardigan front. So sad. It turns out that the size that will allow me to button the cardi over "the Girls" (wink wink) will be so huge over the rest of me that I would look just plain silly. And of course, the size that will fit everywhere else will not button nicely over said Girls. Well, I refuse to spend $100 and countless hours of knitting, blocking and piecing on a sweater that fits poorly. So, imagine my delight when I saw Mlle Bonne Marie's new pattern "Twist!" I've known the VK Cardi was a lost cause for a couple of weeks now, and have been searching for a new cardi pattern (as the tweedy yarn is not really "against bare skin" kind of yarn, know what I mean?). It was very nearly Girl From Auntie's Eris, but I could not get PayPal to work. For 3 days in a row. Way I see it, that's an omen or something. So, even tho the Lt prefers the Eris, I've gotta go with Twist. Something about not liking the "neck flap." He means the collar. The pattern is currently getting settled on my hard drive.

Am also thinking about Knitty's Blackberry for a dear friend who's pregnant. I figure no matter how big her bump gets, this will fit all winter long, and even after La Princess arrives in February.

Ah, so much yarn, so little time.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home