A Knitter in Transition

My adventures - in knitting, marriage, and moving across hemispheres.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Les Rouges

While, I'm not "officially" involved in Project Spectrum, I've got it stuck in my head. I love reds and pinks, so that could have something to do with it.

I love how reds and pinks represent so many different ideas and images. Just think of crimson roses versus primary red kids toys. Think of how different a pale pink strapless dress is compared with the same dress in scarlet. How much racier is red lace than white?

Pink is a good color on everybody. Maybe not every shade of pink, but there's one out there for you. A few days ago my friend Kristi had her little girl in a melon/pink/peach/rosy wonder of a t-shirt. It lit up her eyes, pinked up her cheeks and made her little mouth look like she had on the ULTIMATE shade of lipstick (which she of course did not). If the right pink can do all this for a petal-skinned beautiful baby, just think what it can do for the rest of us.


Here's proof that yes, I'm STILL slogging along on the freaking Eris cardigan. I'm done with the body, and am knitting on the waistband, with just the sleeves left to do. The Lt is on a business trip, and my goal is to finish it by the time he gets back. I've knit exactly 0 stitches toward this goal. I officially hate knitting one piece sweaters. It's just too much. I need the break-up of the pieces. I don't mind seaming. At least, I don't now. I like that little satisfied "Hm" I get to make when the puzzle starts coming together, and it looks less like a stack of potholders and more like a sweater. With this thing, I think I'll just feel relief that it's finally over, and that kinda sucks. It's a good thing winter in Okinawa is over, because even if I finished it today, I'm not sure I could bring myself to wear it for a few months.


My toes. I never realized just how funky my feet look. If you haven't made this realization, if you've been walking in public in sandals thinking "they aren't masterpieces, but they're ok," do NOT take a pic of them for your blog. ANYWAY, there's this great nail shop down the street from my house called Cocok, and they do awesome pedicures and nail art. I'm not much of one for island scenes painted on my fingers, but the toes are free for whimsy. I'm not sure whether the best part about Cocok is the meticulously applied nail art or the full bar...

I plan on going every month, and putting a pic up of the nail art. I'll try to warn you ahead of time, so that if the tootsies freak you out, you can avoid me until it's below the opening scroll.


I leave you with a pic of my lunch. While the Lt's away, I've decided to go vegetarian. Why?* 1. I could be healthier. 2. I could be thinner. 3. I could spend less at the commissary. 4. I could be more eco-friendly.

These are Molly Katzen's Persian Kidney Beans, from Molly Katzen's Vegetable Heaven. They were YUMMY, super quick and easy. I happen to love kidney beans, so it worked out well, you see. BTW, this is a great cookbook, but you should really take the prep-times listed with a grain of salt. And by grain of salt, I mean ignore them completely. She was on crack the day she came up with them. And this from a girl who's idea of getting ready in 40 minutes means getting ready in an hour and five. But I'm not lying when I say the beans were quick and easy, they really were!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:54 AM PST, Blogger Sarah said…

    You are all over project spectrum!

    Great nail art.

    I think most cookbook writers are on crack when they talk about prep time!

     
  • At 7:12 AM PST, Blogger Heather said…

    I love the toesies! Very cute. Are those prep times ever right? Even on the box of freaking rice-a-roni they are off.

     
  • At 8:25 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a fun post. PINK! TOES! FOOD!

    That is a gorgeous shade of pink. I am drawn to really pale pink, but that color you are using is the one that looks good on me clothing-wise.

    :-) SP7

     

Post a Comment

<< Home